Tuesday, January 25, 2011

David Diaz at the Joslyn Art Museum

{Me and David Diaz, 2011}
{"Me, Frida", David's Newest Book, 2011}
{David Showing Sketches, Process, Promotional Materials, 2011}
{One Area of the Exhibit, Joslyn Art Museum, 2011}
I had a wonderful opportunity to see Caldecott winning illustrator David Diaz speak at the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha, Nebraska a little over a week ago. He was very funny and very open about his process and how he approaches illustrating books. He showed sketches and promotional materials for his most current book entitled, "Me, Frida". I had my picture taken with him and asked him to sign my sketchbook... which ended in 6 pages of sharpie sketches! My friend and fellow illustrator, Erin Taylor, was able to coordinate this event with the Golden Kite Awards exhibit that was curated by Diaz and is now showing at the Joslyn Art Museum. It was overwhelming to see so many original illustrations from the best in the industry dating back to the 1970's. Illustrators included Melissa Sweet, Tomie de Paola, Trina Schart Hyman, David Shannon, and so many more! The Golden Kite Awards show is a traveling exhibit so if it comes to your area, I highly recommend seeing it!

1 comment:

Fay Akers said...

if it comes this way I will go see it. thanks