Friday, April 03, 2009

Gestural Figure Drawings

{Charcoal on Newsprint, 2009}
{Charcoal on Newsprint, 2009}
{Charcoal and Conte on Newsprint, 2009}
This is a sampling of some of the warm up gesture exercises we have been doing in the figure class at the Des Moines Art Center. I admit, I have never really been that great at gesture drawing. In college, I would sort of just "get through them", but Jack, the instructor, is pushing us by trying various techniques. (he can also tell if you are just going through the motions, and I like that he calls me on it). He often makes a great point, that drawing the figure quicker and quicker is good for the artist and more importantly, the model. (because obviously they can't hold poses forever) That has been one of my major goals during this 13 weeks period; to become a better gesture drawer. I am pleased to say, I think I have improved at it a little!

4 comments:

Jade Scarlett said...

How many minutes do you get to those gestural poses? My life drawing instructor only gives us one minute so I can never get that much going!!! Besides, he gets mad if I do anyways ;p

Hugs,
Jade

Candace Trew Camling said...

These range from 1-2 minutes all the way up to 5-7 minutes. But, he really pushes us to get it down quick and not worry about accuracy!

Unknown said...

wow Candace!...your charcoal work is wonderful...

andrealynn said...

These are great gestures! I am a big fan of gestural figure drawings. Art pieces to display, to a great way to warm up. Artist have to do stretches too just like a athlete! :P